Envision the best ways to access your particular market segments and ideal clients.
In the Financial Advisor SMART BOOK™. we outline a strategy-led, systematic growth program with 9 proven strategies. The goal is to help advisors:
- Volume: Generate More Visits & Inquiries
- Velocity: Accelerate the Process
- Value: Grow AUM growth and Revenue.
Strategy #3 – Go to Market
Tailor your go-to-market model to your firm and your advisors. A go-to-market model is based on your business model your target audience of personas and it helps you envision the best ways to access your ideal clients. Yet in addition to understadning how you might best access your particular target client segment, you should consider what is best for you and your firm. For example, what volumes do you need? How comfortable are you with outbound prospecting? To what degree are you comfortable using social media or digital marketing?
Begin by determining how to access your ideal clients.
A. Determine your territories or market focus as a team – who will focus on which prospects or segments.
B. Identify referral partners (asset management relationships, custodian, referral networks, COIs, etc.)
C. Identify marketplaces or communities that may be relevant (e.g., FeeOnlyNetwork, Investopedia, NAPFA, FPA Planner, Zoe Financial, SmartAsset and others)
D. Identify touch points should might based on the audience, e.g. inbound and outbound marketing, PR/media outreach, advertising, re-marketing, high-value content, and thought leadership, webinars.
E. Identify social and other media channels you might use to reach prospective clients (Google or Facebook Advertising, LinkedIn Sponsored posts, etc., radio, print), media/PR, content/thought leadership publishing/syndication, speaking, charitable activity, e-mail, apps such as a retirement readiness quiz, webinars).
F. Consider what capabilities you will need to support your go-to-market strategy including web channels, collateral, technologies, processes, skills and measurement/monitoring.
G. Align your team around the go-to-market model and high-level campaign strategies ensuring buy-in and to support execution commitment.
- Be selective about which clients to target. That is, which clients have the potential to be profitable, and the willingness to form long-term relationships.
- Manage the others – losing unwanted customers efficiently without loss of focus.
- An A-B-C Client Model is a handy tool to segment your client base and manage your portfolio.
- Long-term success will rely on a go-to-market strategy and plan that reaches your target clients and positions your firm with a competitive advantage.
Explore all 9 strategies for growth by downloading the Financial Advisor SMART BOOK™!